Our chakra system is like the etheric and emotional body’s warning system before physical problems ever occur. Modern brain imaging has shown us that practices like kundalini yoga, meditation, and even deep breathing can help to alter our chakra system, but how do we know when we need of a tune up?
Root Chakra Warnings
The root chakra, located at the base of the spine connects us to the earth. It governs the legs, feet, male reproductive system, bladder, kidneys, and immune system. When the energy of the root chakra is imbalanced you may experience:
- You feel unsafe or lack confidence – since this chakra governs our abilities to manifest our “lowest” needs on Maslow’s hierarchy, such as food, shelter, and basic companionship with others, a feeling of being unsafe or unsettled can indicate that the root chakra needs a tune up.
- You have knee, foot, or leg pain – The feet need to literally ground to the earth to help heal the root chakra. If you haven’t been spending enough time outdoors, you’ll notice a feeling of being airy or unsettled, literally, ungrounded. Cure this ailment easily by putting your feet to the grass, the dirt or the sand. It doesn’t hurt to also place as much of your bare skin (all over your body) in the earth to absorb its negative ions and calming energy.
Sacral Chakra Warnings
The sacral or second chakra, located approximately two inches below your naval governs the kidneys, hips, low back, pelvis and female reproduction. The lesson of this chakra is to balance our own needs with those of others. It encourages emotional balance. When out of balance, you may feel:
- Overly committed or a lack of creativity
- An inability to express what we feel emotionally
- Fears of impotence or betrayal
- Addictions (alcohol, food, drugs, gambling, shopping, etc.)
- Panic Attacks
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Poor boundaries
- Low blood sugar
- Feeling detached from others
- Low energy
As you clear the energetic blockages in the sacral chakra by using energetic vibrations which support it, such as the color orange, essential oils like sandalwood, jasmine and rose, or simply unpacking your emotional baggage, you’ll notice that these warning signs will often disappear.
Navel Chakra Warnings
The Manipura chakra, or naval chakra is located just behind the belly button along the spinal column. This chakra governs our personal will, our ability to “stomach” things, our individual life-purpose, our digestion, and metabolism.
When the navel chakra needs a little extra love and attention, you may have:
- Digestive issues
- Eating disorders
- Liver and colon trouble
- You may lack the self-esteem to assert your own will or be overly controlling
- You might feel powerless or needy
To heal the energetic stagnation in the third chakra, you need to find your inner warrior – that strong, resilient, confident part of yourself that helps you face the challenges of the world. You can also support better digestion by drinking warm water instead of cold, using gems that support the color of the third chakra like yellow or gold, or practice yogic breathing called Bhastrika to increase your digestive fire.
Heart Chakra Warnings
The Heart chakra, or fourth chakra, called Anahata is our center of compassion. It allows us to give and receive love. When it is imbalanced:
- We may feel unloved, or incapable of receiving love
- We may withhold love from others
- We may lack a sense of empathy
- We suffer from cardiac problems
To heal the heart chakra, one of the easiest things you can do is to spend more time in nature, because the color green — the color of the heart chakra — is everywhere. This color-healing will help to balance the energy in your heart.
Throat Chakra Warnings
Cat got your tongue? Are you having trouble expressing your truth? This is the biggest indicator of throat chakra imbalances. This chakra also governs the thoughts, and is deeply affected by negative thinking. If you don’t feel that life is full of creative possibilities and you can always express your creative gifts, then it may be time to give your throat chakra, called Visuddha, a little extra balancing. Practice self-affirming statements, such as, “I am a creative being and I have a right to express my gifts,” and “I live in integrity in all that I do,” to help get this chakra in shape.
Third Eye Chakra Warnings
The 6th chakra, or third eye, governs our spiritual vision, but it is also can manifest as a loss of physical vision, as well as:
- Blurred eyesight
- Sinus problems
- Hearing loss
- Imbalance pineal hormones which govern sleep, and mood
- A lack of imagination and intuition
This chakra allows our spiritual wisdom to manifest unimpeded. It allows us to see through illusion and find truth. When it is balanced and clear, you will notice synchronicity and guidance that comes with ease. This is our natural state of being.
Crown Chakra Warnings
Located at the top of the head, this chakra, called the thousand-petalled lotus, or Sahasrara, allows us to find our Godself. When it is out of whack, we can tend to:
- Be sensitive to light, sound, and environment
- Get depressed easily
- Become rigid in our spiritual beliefs
- Fear of alienation
When this chakra is running as it should, we will feel we come closer to God with every breath. We live easily in the present moment. Our lives are lived mindfully and without attachment. We also have an unshakeable trust in our inner guidance. The best way to unblock this chakra is to work on freeing the energy from the previous chakras, and to be open to Divine communication.